View Single Post
Old
07-20-2012, 09:03 AM
RaiderDoug

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
This is where we differ. I don't think the Preds can win a Cup with the team they have going into next year. I doubt their ability to acquire the pieces to surround Weber and Rinne with the requisite pieces while Weber is making 14M per year and Rinne 7M per.

And with a new CBA, I assume, front loading contracts will be abolished so the Preds wouldn't have to worry about 14 year, front loaded contracts with 68M in signing bonuses.
Even if you don't think they can win a cup with Rinne/Weber, they're surely farther off without Weber. What's the point of having Rinne locked up to a 7 year deal if we're on another 5 year rebuilding plan?

If you want to blow the whole thing up, I could see that. Take the 4 picks from Weber. Trade Rinne for a package of youngsters. Hoard assets and bring 'em all up together in a couple of years.

The Preds weren't supposed to have to worry about those types of contracts in this CBA deal either. Someone found a loophole. They always do, and they always will.

This is the Preds big boy moment. If they won't pay their homegrown, face of the franchise, captain, core player - they won't pay anyone when one of the big boys want to poach them. This is the moment where the Preds decide whether they're a farm team or a real NHL club.