View Single Post
Old
07-20-2012, 11:32 AM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
But the salary cap's not there to ensure the fair distribution of talent. If it were, there'd be *significantly* stronger revenue sharing and/or a lower/nonexistent floor.

If you want a cap system that does work to distribute talent evenly, then pool all revenues and distribute them evenly (I know this will never happen). Other than localized issues like taxes and quality of life that would put everyone on a level playing field. Anything less is just half-measures at best because the have-nots really can't even afford to spend to the floor. Until you address that issue worrying about how the top talent is distributed is putting the cart before the horse, I think.

If a team is willing to take the hit later and is willing to put themself in a position where they have to retool because they've got aging guys with a bigger hit than they warrant (due to getting them cheaper early), I have no problem with that. They got a benefit earlier by being able to load up and, presumably, have better success early. They took a hit later by having to retool and, presumably, have less success later. Trading bad years for good years, if that's what they want to do, I can totally live with. Of course the really good GMs will try to keep consistently good by managing these deals more carefully, perhaps staggering them a bit.
This is not entirely true. Parity was a key goal for the league during the last CBA negotiations. I think the ability of teams to be competitive on the ice and in the FA market is something they at least claim to care a lot about. I suspect that the league will be looking to put a stop to these kind of shenanigans.

Mirtle tweeted about wanting to see a term limit. I don't know if I agree with that. I think, if a team and a player want to get married, they should be able to, but I don't believe they should be able to structure the deal in such a way as to circumvent the cap. Should be an interesting rest of the summer. I just hope there's hockey in a few months.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote