View Single Post
Old
07-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

vCash: 500
Didn't realize Herb Cain was available. Seems like a good pick.

I had "Moose" Goheen on my watchlist, very high. But like TDMM said, I couldn't really get a good read on just how good he was, so I was a little reticent to make a selection.

If it helps your bio, I pulled this selection of quotes from Total Hockey on Goheen:

Moose Goheen "...it was hockey that brought him international acclaim as one of the first great players ever developed in the United States. Primarily a defenseman, he was known as 'the only individual three-man rush in hockey' and as a prolific scorer. He was one of the first players in the game to wear a helmet." "twice helping the team win the McNaughton Trophy (amateur hockey supremacy in U.S.)" Selected to 1920 Olympic team. Asked to play in 1924 Olympics but declined. Bruins claimed him, Leafs offered him a contract but he refused [in order] to stay home with Northern States Power Company. "...Minnesota Hall of Fame in 1958 as the finest hockey player ever produced in the state."

The last line I guess isn't totally unfair to say for the time (1958), though it would include Frank Brimsek, would it not?