Thread: Confirmed with Link: Oilers re-sign Sam Gagner (1yr/$3.2M)
View Single Post
Old
07-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Everest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
As to the contract I'm confused by it all round.

A one year deal basically confirms Gagner at this point isn't in the plans here.

Barring injury he'll smash his production records, will up his contract cost for next year, and will likely be gone. I don't see how this plays out much differently.

But why would the Gagner camp agree to this when the arbitration award would likely be North of this?
Obviously Gagners' agent feels different.

Truth is...most of the time players file for arbitration they end up settling before it goes to mediation. I would also say... most of the time both parties recognize its not neccesary to utilize outside perspectives in order to reach an agreement. Especially when there is always a significant potential for "hard feelings".

But your right...the Oilers have (twice now) avoided making any more than a bare minimum commitment to Gagner. They appear to have a plan for him...but...the plan is to continue to look/hope for someone better.

And I think thats a good idea. Were not really likely to replace Gagner with a player who will provide more MUCH more production than he does....but...as you & I have already agreed in the past...we probably need a different TYPE of player than Gagner in the #2 centre spot.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote