View Single Post
Old
07-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Larry44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
I think people are misreading what Weber's cocky agent is saying. All of what i have heard via interviews is that Weber would not have signed the offer sheet if he did not want to play in Philly. I have not heard one word with facts to back it up that Shea Weber does not want to play in Nashville and only wants to be a flyer. I think Shea is willing to play for either team and his cocky agent is going around pubbing his client to try to get a bigger pay day in philly with endorsements and bigger market. He is trying to make a buck just like Weber.
Bousquet did say, on FAN590, that after Suter left, and with no negotiations taking place with Nashville, that they decided to leave Nashville and look at options for his long term future. They travelled to Vancouver, San Jose, Detroit, New York and Philadelphia. All those teams tried to either give him an offer sheet or make a deal with the Preds.

Weber spoke to Hartnell and Timonen, and he is close friends and works out all summer with new Flyer Luke Schenn. Weber chose Philly. They told Poile there was an offer sheet coming, and he tried to get Brayden Schenn and Couturier for his rights. Holmgren said, forget this, here's the offer sheet.

Asked point blank if Weber would want to return to Nashville if they matched, Bousquet paused and said, 'he wants to play in Philly. If they match, he'll be a professional and turn up and play. But he feels the Predators are in a rebuilding stage again and he has not interest in playing there through another rebuilding stage. He wants to move on.'

Bousquet also downplayed the ill will caused by last year's arbitration, but it had to hurt to be offered $5M as the best Dman in the game. Why would they do that then, and cry foul now?

In retrospect, this is all on Poile and the owners. They made a big offer to Suter and might have the cash to match the offer sheet this year.. They blew it last year, when they could have locked Weber up first for a few years at least. That may have persuaded Suter to re-up too. They waited too long to cough up, and the players gave up and moved on.

I don't know if the Preds can match, but I can see the Flyers helping to persuade them not to by a side deal for Meszaros and a winger in return for a couple picks back (maybe the firsts, maybe not).

Why would the owners want to pay that much to a player who doesn't want to be there?

Edit - here's a link to the TSN story: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=401032 with excerpts below:

Quote:
"When that happened we saw 13-year deals coming and 14-year deals coming, which Shea was able to sign under the 'Kovalchuk rule,'" Bousquet said. "We all sat down and looked at the different options and thought, you know, if there is a 14-year contract coming down the pipe at some point, we need to be ready for it and we need to know that you want to play there for the next 14 years."

The choice for Weber to look elsewhere is a direct result of what Bousquet believes is a philosophical change in direction from the Predators in the wake of Suter's decision to sign with the Wild.

"When things changed in Nashville and we felt that everything was set back a year or two and it looked to be more of a rebuilding situation," he said. "We thought we'd just take our time. In that time frame – in three or four days – other teams exercised their rights under the CBA to contact us and make some offers."
Quote:
While the money grabbed headlines, the opportunity to play for a perennial competitor was attractive to Weber and his team.

"He'd like to play with the Philadelphia Flyers because we all feel that he's just another piece in the puzzle to take them to the next level," Bousquet said. "He doesn't want to go through a rebuilding process again."

He added that his client wouldn't have signed the offer if he weren't ready to close the book on his career in Nashville.

"I don't think you sign an offer sheet unless you're pointing in that one direction," Bousquet said.
Quote:
Weber's camp, however, knows that a change is coming to the economics of the NHL in the form of a new collective bargaining agreement.

"With the uncertainty of the new CBA, we felt as though when the offer sheet came we felt that it was just too good of a deal to pass on," Bousquet said.

Last edited by Larry44: 07-20-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote