View Single Post
Old
07-20-2012, 01:59 PM
Larry44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
First of all, can we all just lose the "______ fan coming in peace" nonsense? If you're a fan of another team that's cool, but you don't have to announce you're coming in peace if you truly intend to do so. It really does bother people.

Second, Weber was not offered $5m at arbitration. Arbitration is negotiation. One side offers a low amount (the team), and the other side offers a high amount (the player/agent). The goal is to have them meet somewhere in the middle, but closer to your side than their side. A 3 year, $7m contract was turned down by Poile, but it was due to the short term. Poile wanted a longer term. Weber wanted to see what was going to happen with the team and the CBA. Poile actually offered him something closer to what Rinne got, which was viewed as a much more valuable deal before the Suter contract than it is after.

I do agree that the management and ownership has blown it. I'm not sure if it is because they simply don't know what they are doing w/r/t negotiating contracts with star players, or because they simply don't have the money (could be the case with the Weber OS) but they have definitely bungled this for one reason or another.
Fair point, sorry, I don't post on other boards often, offensive intro deleted.

Re: arbitration, whether is was an offer or a negotiation, to try to lowball was just dumb, and it's biting them in the backside now. Maybe Poile did want a longer term, but instead of 3 years, now he's stuck with 14 or nothing.

When they signed Rinne, and Poile said he had the same kind of money/term for Suter and Weber, I hoped they would all sign and stay there.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote