View Single Post
Old
07-20-2012, 03:44 PM
doaner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
But you're also a police officer who has undergone training not available to most civilians.

At a certain point, the preparation carries more risk than not being prepared at all. Everything you do is a risk/reward calculation. The risk of leaving my money under my mattress outweighs the risk of leaving it in the bank. Is being unarmed in your own house a risk? Sure. If someone wants to come into my home with a gun, I'm powerless to stop him. But I also don't have to worry about anyone being shot accidentally (whether because I panicked and overreacted or because a curious child got a hold of it or whatever), which is greater likelihood.

As a member of law enforcement, I'm guessing you've often seen cases of people trying to take the law into their own hands. How often does that work out?

Home invasions are not "everywhere" and kids are not being kidnapped "all over the place," not that you'd necessarily have the right to shoot someone in either case (nor should you). This is paranoid thinking. Both, especially the latter, are quite rare.
You can be damn sure if anyone tries to take my kids or breaks into my home to do my family harm, it will be 2 to the body and 1...you get the point.