View Single Post
Old
07-20-2012, 05:10 PM
doaner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
I'd be interested to see some (reliable) statistics breaking a few things down, like:

How often are guns successfully used to defend against home invasions? (And by "successfully" I mean preventing further harm to life and property by killing or disabling the intruder(s), or causing him/them to flee, without accidentally injuring bystanders or the user.)

What is the ratio of such "successful" resolutions, to cases in which the use of a gun in self-defense either fails to stop a home invasion or causes additional harm? For instance, how many homeowners are themselves killed or injured in the course of trying to stop a home invasion with a gun?

How many non-gun owners are killed or injured during home invasions, as compared to gun owners who keep a gun for home defense?

How many break-ins occur when there's nobody home? How does that compare to the number of break-ins that occur when there is someone home?

How many guns are stolen during break-ins that occur when no one is home?

Under what circumstances is self-defense a legally valid justification for shooting an intruder? For example, I've been told that you can't legally shoot a man as he's leaving your house with your television. However, you can shoot him if you're convinced that he means to harm you or your family.
The shapiros in pv come to mind.