Thread: Salary Cap: New CBA - RFA's
View Single Post
Old
07-20-2012, 06:06 PM
capfit9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
how many offer sheets has actually been signed since the new CBA? Kesler, Vanek, Hjalmarsson(or however his name is spelled), Weber, penner anyone else I missed? so 5 in what 7 years? there have been big name players like Doughty, Stamkos, Staal all guys who are All-stars and better players then guys like Kesler(at the time), Hjalmarsson, Penner and were not signed to offersheets. plus there has only been 1 successful Offersheet and it worked out terribly for the Edmonton Oilers.

offersheets imo are not a problem, most of the time teams don't need to worry about them, and I dont think they are driving the price up on players ethier.
The reason there haven't been that many offer sheets are because GM's sign their players before free agency even starts at inflated value. they FEAR that their players will get offer sheeted so they overpay them either in terms of AAV or Term. Most of the time when another team offered any of the players they were over-valued at that time (i.e., Ryan Kesler getting $2.5M from Flyers was perceived to be a gross over payment and Nonis got berated for matching it) And it is not about whether the player switches teams or not, it's the perceived inflated value of an RFA.

capfit9 is offline   Reply With Quote