View Single Post
Old
07-20-2012, 10:44 PM
Legionnaire11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
I understand everything you're saying, but I don't see how the owners can't match. If they don't, they expose themselves to be liars. I understand the intricacies of the contract, the CBA, the insurance issues, etc...but most casual fans don't. The effect of losing Weber will be crippling to our fan base, to our ability to attract top-notch players, etc.

The Pens were willing to sign Crosby to a monster, uninsurable contract because he is the cornerstone of their franchise. If our owners are serious about spending with the big dogs in this league, then they'll do the same thing.
Put yourself in the owners shoes. I'd much rather be viewed as a liar in the short term, and still give myself a chance to re-build the team and earn back the loyalty of the fans vs watching millions of dollars basically be flushed down the toilet and be left hoping to recoup my losses through selling the team, which also leaves you looking like an even bigger liar after you stepped to save the team in the first place.