View Single Post
Old
07-21-2012, 11:09 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

vCash: 500
The Return of Carlo Colaiacovo

Okay, so this thread started out as a response to someone in a different thread, and I got on such a role that I thought I would make a separate thread on the topic.

The more I think about that, the less sure I am it is such a bad option.

There really isn't a point in a lateral move that would cost assets if Colaiacovo is a realistic one year option.

To be honest I'm a bit surprised that Colaiacovo hasn't signed elsewhere by now. I don't think he is really that much of a step down from Dennis Wideman overall. He is better defensively, but not as good offensively.

Obviously, Colaiacovo isn't Plan A. He isn't Plan B either. But honestly would bringing Colaiacovo back next season be such a bad thing? He was paired with Petro pretty much all last season. Petro finished fourth in Norris voting. The Blues were the best defensive team in the league, winning the Jennings, and if not for legalese, would have set an expansion era record for fewest goals allowed in a season.

I certainly understand not wanting to commit to Colaiacovo long term. But the further from July 1st we get, the greater the likelihood of him accepting a one year contract.

I'll be the first to admit, I'm pretty lost when it comes to evaluating defensive play. I understand that Colaiacovo is injury prone. He is less than ideal for the position. But is he really worse than the other options out there?

Colaiacovo was a +7 last year. He had a career worst shooting %, scoring only two goals, so an improvement in that department can be expected. He has shown some chemistry with Petro. Like Russell (and others), he has the ability to skate the puck out of the zone if necessary. He has shown an ability to adapt to and play in Hitchcock's system. He offers an option on the PP. He would be the third or fourth best puck mover on the team (Petro, Shatty, maybe Russell).

Obviously this is all based on Colaiacovo being willing to return on the Blues terms. But if you could, would you? Why give up assets for a lateral move? Would you accept a line of 5 goals-20 assists -25 points -+10 -25 PIMs from Petro's partner next season?

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote