View Single Post
Old
07-21-2012, 11:12 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Phillips is no slouch when it comes to stick handling and hockey IQ, either.

I never compared Phillips to Granlund, and I didn't say Granlund was slow - just that he improved his skating, which was one of his biggest areas for improvement.
Never said he was... but if compared to Granlund... absolutely!

Granlund's skating improved slightly... but I don't think it needed all that much improving to begin with. As mentioned... he's just not a fast skater is all. Much like Koivu, he's been ripped unjustifiably about his skating ability. He's always been just fine as a skater... people just think if you lack blazing speed, you must be a weak skater which isn't the case.

A weak skater is someone like Bruno... where skating is an absolute liability.

Phillips is an ok skater too... he can't stick handle in a phone booth like Granlund, but he's good with the puck... and he has a bit more size to help him out too.

My problem with Phillips, he's a very generalized player... he does a lot of things decently, and maybe above average on a few things, but is special at absolutely nothing.

That's where Larsson gets the edge... he's not special at anything either, but he's above average at just about everything. I remember someone recently calling Larsson a Mini-Koivu... I think that is a very apt description... only he's a little faster on his skates than Koivu.

My worst fear when it comes to Phillips... is right now I see a lot of James Sheppard in his game. A lot of people loved Sheppard early on too... I hope Phillips has more of a hockey IQ and less of an attitude to not fall into the same trap that Sheppard did.

For the record... I don't think Phillips will end up like Sheppard... it's just that I see similarities in their game when compared at this age etc, thus with how Sheppard turned out, I just have that fear about his development.

Last edited by TaLoN: 07-21-2012 at 11:21 PM.
TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote