Thread: OT: PSU Death Penalty?
View Single Post
Old
07-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I don't think the football program is going to be touched. I think what the NCAA is going to do is go after all of those who helped in covering up the atrocities of Jerry Sandusky. I think university officials are going to be fired, everything Joe Pa ever did will be taken off the "official" books, and that the NCAA is going to bring in their own people to run the program at Penn State in exchange for not letting the football program go down the drain. It's going to be a completely different environment there and you can bet that it's going to be one that will be under very close scrutiny.
They have no authority (or manpower) to do that.

They can't fire anyone at Penn St., and they certainly can't hire themselves.

They really only have three options:

1) Do nothing, and allow the criminal process to take care of the offenders.

2) Kill the program--for some amount of time, with long-term effects--though according to the NCAA's own by-laws, this option is reserved for "repeat offenders."

3) Levy a combination of scholarship, postseason, and television-related sanctions.

They won't do the first. They probably won't do the second, despite their chest-thumping. So it is the third be default...and now we wait and see how stiff the penalties are.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote