Thread: OT: PSU Death Penalty?
View Single Post
Old
07-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think it is fair to say that this is related to athletic competition. The actual acts of Sandusky are not. The subsequent cover up is. Want to talk about a competitive advantage...I think keeping this a secret for over a decade give PSU a competitive advantage.
I think that's a stretch, but honestly, this whole thing makes no sense to me--and I'm not even talking about Sandusky's heinous actions.

If all of the officials had acted "properly" in the aftermath of the 1998 case, it is, from Penn State's perspective, a several-week story that raises questions about how Sandusky lived the life he did without being noticed for so long, but which ultimately shifts the focus from the institution to the man himself.

I've yet to see any compelling argument, let alone evidence, of a decision to cover-up the facts of the case in 1998 that motived by institutional and financial concerns. It just makes no sense. There are other, more plausible ways to read the case--that the officials believed law enforcement was handling it, that they did not believe the accusations, et., but it just made no sense to cover up the events at the time to protect the football program.

What came later does "make sense" as a cover-up--they realized the scope of how bad the situation was years earlier, and believed that they could not do anything other than cover-up their previous knowledge. (Thus, Paterno denied knowing about 1998). But at that point, he was a former employee of the university--the "cover-up" was less to protect the institution than the individuals who had known about prior accusations but not acted.

I'm just not buying that preserving the strength (and financial benefits) of the football program was the primary motivation involved for Schultz, Curley, and others, who, it seems to me, were motived by their own need to keep themselves out of jail, or, at minimum, from being fired.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote