View Single Post
Old
07-22-2012, 02:40 PM
guinness
swedish milkmaid

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I would agree with you but there is something called innocent until proven guilty. One of the biggest mistakes an insistution or corporation has done is disiplined someone before the person has yet to be convicted of a crime. In many cases, someone who gets displined after an arrest have either been found not guilty or have had the charges dropped. Duke University made this huge mistake with regards to a few of its mens lacross players arrested for **** and yet the charges were dropped.

Now if the player is found guilty and you want to see a harsh minimum punishment in place, then I'm all for it plus any additional punishment to go along with a mandatory minimum depending what what the player is convicted of.
They could institute a moral character/poor judgement clause. Make it small fine ($500-1000) for every arrest, and have it donated to a local charity. Pro athletes are public figures, when they screw up, people notice. If there is money attached to it, maybe players will be less likely to take those risks.

And in the case of the DUI/DWI's, IIRC most teams have safe ride programs set up to avoid things like that, yet they still happen.

I feel that when there's smoke, there's fire. Most people don't get arrested, those that do, usually have it happen for a reason.