View Single Post
Old
12-02-2003, 10:29 AM
bucksoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by camboy
All three look good to me....although #1 would only happen in my dreams.

Ugghhh... I like number 1 the least. Spezza is great, but to give up both Comrie and Smyth is too much.

Smyth is locked up for years at ~3.5M. That is a bargain for a forward of his quality and leadership. Heck, we can probably afford him longer than we'd be able to keep Spezza happy.

Any trade sending Smyth to Ottawa needs to be a massive overpay benefitting the Oil. I mean think about it... Smyth is EXACTLY what Ottawa needs, a gritty winger, who can score, who can lead them in the playoffs and is cheap. There isn't a more perfect fit for Ottawa in the entire league. Add in his excellent contract (for a vet of his age), and Ottawa is dancing cartwheels.

If I were the Ottawa GM, I'd bite the bullet and do Spezza for Smyth straight up, simply b/c this is the type of move that can fortify a team that has had far too much regular season success, and far too little playoff success.

After that, the deal breaks down to Laraque + Comrie --> Volchenkov. Sorry, but for me, that is not enough coming back to Edmonton. No deal.

The other two deals are better.