View Single Post
Old
07-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Chief

vCash: 500
I will only go back to the 70's. In the 70's and 80's most players lived in Manhattan and it was basically because a lot of the players were enjoying the big city all they could. Being young, making relatively big money and being treated like royalty wherever you went was a pretty addictive lifestyle. Especially for young guys from the sticks (for better or worse). Somewhere in the late 80's/early 90's, the Rangers management basically forbid the Rangers from living in Manhattan. On the Cup team, I believe Mess, Leetch and Richter were the only players allowed to live in Manhattan. The Rangers loved the fact that Leetch would be riding with Mess back and forth to practice and gaining wisdom from The Captain in the process.

When Robitaille got to NY there was actually a problem between player and management because the team did not want him living in Manhattan. Luc won out, from what I remember. I'm not sure when the shift happened and players started living in Manhattan again.

It's not just the single guys who like Manhattan. Young wives with a lot of cash like living in Manhattan too.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote