View Single Post
Old
07-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
I think the heart of the issue lies with the perception of you, the poster.

Crowds seem more intense in previous years like '94 I think because well, Vancouver isn't a great hockey town. Sure, there are more than a fair amount of die-hards, but how many people did you see walking downtown wearing Canucks apparel on say...April 24, 2011 to May 24, 2011? I'd bet a pretty penny that one month later that number has tripled. The bandwagons come out and the die-hards feed off the energy that no one will judge you if you run down the streets professing your love of the team compared to say doing that in December and everyone looking at you like a nutcase.

In short, more fans come out the farther the team goes is all there is to it. The closer the team gets to the Cup the more hopeful fans get and less cynical they are. You don't think 40+ years of losing has jaded some fans into cynics haven't they? Look at Tony Gallagher, who IMO really came out of his old, grumpy, cynical shell last June. No one blames him, though considering what he's seen following the Canucks for so many years.