View Single Post
Old
07-22-2012, 10:39 PM
duffy9748

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
This is very true. I would be not at all surprised if the Weber thing blows up in Holmgren's face one way or the other. I actually think he's the best cautionary tale WRT wanting GMGM to make a big splash. I'm no McPhee fan, but I see how Holmgren has largely screwed his team with the Pronger trade and signing (I know they got an SCF out of it, but...), the Carter/Richards trades, etc... He's always doing something big and flashy but he's rarely successful and often ends up looking a fool. Sather too, though he's skilled at unloading his mistakes on others, see: Gomez, Scott.
You think Holmgren screwed himself with the Richards/Carter deals? I think he did an amazing job. It gave Giroux a chance to grow and freed up all this money to make a Weber signing even possible. Not even taking those into account, he still got great return for them. I for one think Couturier will be a better player than Carter alone and they also got Voracek. Richards is a great player and is tough for anyone to trade but they got a younger version of him in Schenn who had a great playoff run and Simmonds who scored 28 goals this past season. If they sign Weber, there isn't a core in the league I'd take over theirs.

Giroux(23)
Couturier(19)
B. Schenn(21)
Voracek(22)
Simmonds(22)
Read(25)
Weber(26)
Coburn(26)
L. Schenn(22)

duffy9748 is online now   Reply With Quote