View Single Post
Old
07-23-2012, 12:00 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
In a nutshell, it does go to show that Quick forced the Kings to make moves that paved the way for him to take over as the starting goalie. They didn't play favorites going off of draft position and went with seniority when they brought up Quick instead of Bernier.

The Kings knew that LaBarbera was not going to be "the man" in net. I recall his last few starts with the Kings and was in attendance for his final home game in a Kings uniform, which was dreadful.

Quick's play permitted the Kings to rid themselves of LaBarbera (and in that process ended the torture us Kings fans had to endure). I'm not sure what I'm more grateful towards Quick for, the end of the Jason LaBarbera era, or the Stanley Cup.
But that doesn't speak to your original point in saying that if our kids were really ready that the team would make room for them and bring them up.

LaBarbara was clearly not the answer in net so we had a need to make room for a better goalie, any better goalie. We didn't specifically make room for Quick, we made room for our best option at his position and he took the opportunity and ran with it.

My point is that you can't always just make room for kids and that really good teams typically have a few NHL ready prospects that they are trying to hang onto until they can find the right time/situation to bring them up in.

Wow, I even confused myself on that one.

Kozun is ready as a forward along with AndyA and a few others but we can't just shuffle the deck to make room for them. That sort of thing.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote