View Single Post
Old
07-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
How can they prove that without getting a roster spot?

Lombardi did not know that King and Nolan were "better" than Moreau and Hunter until King and Nolan were given their roster spot.
They had the foresight to bring them up knowing that they could do a better job than Moreau and Hunter. Jack Ferreira said that he was pushing to have them called up sooner. It wasn't until Sutter himself got a look at the kids in Manchester during the all-star break that the Kings made the decision to bring them up.

Look at how the Voynov situation played out with him going up and down between LA and Manchester until the Kings made room for him by trading Johnson for Carter. They knew he was ready and made the move.

The Kings know when these kids are ready. Hickey stuck around until the last round of roster cuts. I figure both him and Muzzin will get long looks at camp and in preseason games if a lockout is avoided.

Look at the Kings roster now and tell me how many holes are there to be filled. There are none. If a prospect is ready to graduate to the NHL, the Kings will eventually make room for him, and if there isn't any room, they have to wait their turn or be turned into another asset, which appears to be the case with Bernier. He knows he won't get an opportunity to be a starter in LA, hence his desire to be traded.

Honest question, would any of you be comfortable with a rookie dman playing on the top pair with Doughty? Or having a rookie take Scuderi's spot on the PK? I sure as hell wouldn't be comfortable with that. If anyone is going to eventually replace Scuderi or Mitchell, it's likely to be Forbort. I think he'll be ready to step in within 2-3 years, and I'd like to see this 6-unit group stay intact until Forbort's ready for the big leagues.

Also note that it's a hell of a lot tougher for a defenseman to crack the roster. You can't hide their minutes like you can with forwards. If any of Muzzin or Hickey or Campbell crack the Kings, they'll be competing with Drewiske for the #7 spot.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote