View Single Post
Old
07-23-2012, 01:22 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
My beef with Holmgren's moves last summer is, has, and will always be that I think it created an odd roster for a team purporting to be Cup contenders. Philly was built to win now. They had Chris Pronger (37), Kimmo Timonen (37), and Danny Briere (34) on their roster when they made those moves. Richards and Carter would've helped them more this past season than Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn, and Couturier (great rookie season notwithstanding), all of whom are solid young players, but won't give you what Richards/Carter can. You could probably say the same for next year, as well, and possibly even another season. These moves may pay off beyond that point, but what consolation is that going to be for Timonen, who may be retired by then? Or Briere, whose torrid playoff pace may be waning by that point?

For me, the only thing that makes those deals anything short of an unmitigated short-term disaster is that they got Couturier at #8, thanks to the idiocy of teams drafting in front of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
I remember that time Miller won a cup.

Bryz was also the runner-up to Miller in Vezina voting that year.
And Bryz's backup had a SV% eight points higher than him that year. You know, the Great Jason LaBarbera. If you take all his starts outside of the Phoenix bubble, he's a sub-.910 goaltender.