View Single Post
Old
07-23-2012, 07:09 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
People on here last summer were predicting a team would come in and sign Weber to an offer with huge up front money, even before the Predators took him to arbitration, I'm sorry if it surprised you. Now the amount and structure are huge, but that's what they were saying, huge upfront money with large signing bonuses, exactly what happened. And they were saying this without the benefit of hindsight.

You can say Poile should not have expected this but this hockey community did.

Maybe I expect too much.
The funny thing is last year "huge up front money" meant the Richards deal. This summer, that term meant the Suter and Parise deals. Neither of those comes close to the offer Weber accepted. Huge just got supersized. NOBODY I've seen predicted $52,000,000 in uninsurable bonuses in the first four years alone (more than Parise and Suter combined, 185% the total bonus Richards receives) ... plus another $16,000,000 in bonuses across seasons five and six.

Maybe I should speak in total generalities and claim to be correct no matter what. It worked for Cleo ... until her psychic business went under. Comparing "huge up front money" of every deal prior to this offer is like comparing a M-80 to what we dropped on Nagasaki ... after all, both went boom.

Last edited by TMI: 07-24-2012 at 10:32 AM. Reason: response is irrelevant now
101st_fan is online now   Reply With Quote