View Single Post
Old
07-23-2012, 11:03 PM
jfb392

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
Barzal still hasnt signed with Seattle yet. Most of the 1st round bantam picks in his draft have all signed with their respective teams but Barzal still hasn't. Seattles first pick in 2011 Ryan Gropp(6th overall) still hasnt signed with Seattle either and is going to play Junior A in Penticton and the speculation is he will be playing NCAA(horrible mistake because he has a late birthday and could get 3 full years in WHL before he is eligable for NHL draft). But i guess some players just arent cut out for Major Junior. Hopefully Barzal will sign though so everyone forgets about the dissapointment of Gropp not playing in Seattle.
I actually hope that Barzal goes the NCAA route.
I usually want all of the top Canadian kids to go the CHL route, but I have zero faith in Seattle and don't know if they'd develop him properly.
Of course becoming better starts with better players reporting, but the organization just seems to have no clue.

I haven't seen any confirmation of Barzal wanting to go the NCAA route, only rumblings, but the Coquitlam Express want him:
Quote:
The club has already hosted two tryout camps, for prospects and bantam-aged players. Calvano said he's made sure that the Western Hockey League's No. 1 overall bantam draft pick, Mathew Barzal, a Coquitlam native, is aware of the club's program.

"I coached Mathew since he was nine years old so I'm hopeful that he'll give us a lot of consideration," noted Calvano.
http://www.thenownews.com/sports/Coq...562/story.html

There's also this video from last December that states that he still wasn't sure what route he was going to take.

..and this was in the BC Minor Hockey Player of the Year release:
Quote:
Off-the-ice, Mathew is enrolled in French Immersion at Dr. Charles Best Secondary (Coquitlam) and has a strong Grade 9 report card, including a 94 per cent final grade in Math. Barzal is fluent in French and often tutors younger students.
http://hockeynow.ca/regions/1-bc-edi...ielly-reinhart

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote