Thread: Illegal Curve - TSN 1290: What will the Jets do with Tobias Enstrom?
View Single Post
Old
07-24-2012, 02:56 PM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I agree with Truck and YYGinYYz,

IMO, our need for another top 6 forward isn't as dire as before, and I think losing Enstrom creates a big hole on the top pair (as we don't really have another person who can handle 20+ minutes), and we also don't have a potential top LHD either on the team, or in the system.

I'm leaning towards hoping we get Enstrom signed as it appears that losing him may cause more problems than whatever positives we might gain in a trade.
I'm with you's on this one, I'd like to keep Enstrom too. There have been times over the course of the season and heading into this offseason that I was open to dealing him if it brought us a good top 6 forward in return, but with the offseason moves we have made and the steps forward our players should take, I really like our mix and team right now. We've got some holes i'm sure we'll come to realize (all or most teams endure them) but as it stands right now I feel quite comfortable with what Chevy has done to date and what we have to work with headed into the season.

Enstrom is indeed small and that can be a bit of a downfall for a defenceman who logs the minutes he does and has the responsibilities he does, but we can surround him with bigger players so his size isn't the be all, end all in terms of whether we should keep him or not, in my opinion. He serves a purpose and can play a key role, so I think he can be a valuable piece here in Winnipeg both this season and beyond.

If we could sign Enstrom to a 4-5 year deal at 5.5-5.75, i'd be happy with that. I'd really rather not go north of 6 million though, but we'll see what happens if we do re-sign him.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote