Old
07-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Right, and here's what you said:

See the disconnect? You flat out said that the NCAA should be involved because the criminal justice system was involved and that their involvement is making light of the situation.

Joe Paterno was the Penn State football program, as readily evident by the cult of personality that's still defending him, and the actions of everyone involved in the cover-up revolved around their desire to protect the public image of the football program over the well being of children.
No I don't see the disconnect. How does my thinking that the NCAA, an organization that routinely makes a mockery of itself, being involved in this makes light of this situation, lead you to think I'm saying no league should suspend a player based on illegal conduct?

If someone gets caught smoking pot or some other minor offense, and they get suspended by the league that's fine because there's not really any legal punishment from something like that. However, this is far worse, and heavy legal repercussions for those involved should definitely be there.

Also thinking Paterno was the football program is the problem. I know he "was" the football program, but he really wasn't the football program. He's dead and there's still a football program. You fall into the same line of thinking as the people you're talking about. You can't separate him from the program. The program is perpetual, the coach is finite.

The coach deserved punishment, as did the pervert, and the people who covered it up. The program didn't cover anything up. The program is inanimate. It's now run by different, hopefully better people.

The people were the problem. If you and I were the President and AD things would have turned out differently wouldn't they?

Quote:
No, the NCAA's purpose is to create a series of uniform rules and enforcement standards to keep collegiate athletics relatively uniform, stable, safe, and effective throughout the land. Penn State continuously allowed a rapist to operate on their grounds and gave the entire NCAA a black eye by their failure to be responsible human beings.

This is unprecedented territory, because what Penn State did was unprecedented.

So the opinion of one person binds the NCAA from future action? Riiiiight....
And these rules deal with athletics, not criminal activity indirectly related to athletics. PSU in no way gave a black eye to the NCAA. Anyone who thinks that is incapable of being able to break things down, and see how something relates, or doesn't relate, to another.

Also, you the opinion of the former chair of the committee that handles investigations and sanctions means nothing?

Quote:
And if there's evidence of a cover-up, then Syracuse should absolutely get hammered, too. That's the difference, no evidence of a cover-up at Syracuse as of yet, while there is substantial evidence of one at Penn State.

Okay.... what should've they done to change the institution of football above all else that existed at Penn State, their allowance to have a complete lack of oversight over Paterno and the football program, and ultimately send a message that such inaction moving forward is completely intolerable?
After what happened to Penn State they have too. And then what? Where do they stop with regulating illegal on campus activities?

I'd hope the prosecution of every single person involved in this situation would send a message to PSU. Also, Penn State will never live this down, regardless of what the NCAA did. I also offered an idea earlier about the bowl games, which you took exception with.

I understand why the NCAA felt compelled to act. They have their public image to look after. However, in taking action they could have tried their best to spare the punishment of the athletes and students, which I don't think they did.

Quote:
Yes, because giving students the chance to transfer without punishment = employees get robbed.
Employees could find a new job if they wanted to, but if they stayed with the company they'd face the repercussions. Same exact thing.

Quote:
Maybe, but at least their concern for their public image lead them to actually do something, versus Penn State's decision to just stick their heads in the sand.
Ok? I'm not defending Penn State.

Quote:
Exactly, we disagree, and we agree to disagree, and I just for the life of me don't see how someone could just sit and pretend that the NCAA doing nothing would be appropriate in this circumstance. Vacating your wins may be meaningless, but vacating your responsibilities as a university, as Penn State did, or athletics organization, as the NCAA didn't, is not acceptable.
And I for the life of me will never understand how someone can think its ok that people who are innocent are the ones being made to pay by the NCAA.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote