View Single Post
Old
07-25-2012, 02:30 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Two-way play is for 3rd line players? Hum, no. I said he wasn't a liability, with sheltered zones starts, he sure as hell would be if he was playing against top line night in and night out.

Come to think of it, I might be wrong, I vaguely remember reading something about his zones starts increasing as the season got along, but I might be making this stuff up.

Eller could peak at a level below Desharnais'? He sure could. Desharnais could also be a 1 season wonder. It's all speculation, I was simply stating my opinion, isn't it what a discussion board about? IMO, Galchenyuk, Plekanec and Eller will, or are, all be better centers than Desharnais.
Thats fine, also why we discuss - we mostly talk about each other's opinions.

As for sheltered starts - I remember seeing a chart and Desharnais did start in the o-zone more often then not. It wasn't pure sheltering however, as he faced pretty strong opposition. His line was our only real offensive threat so it made sense to give them the most chances. The Sedins in Vancouver get incredibly sheltered minutes if we want to see it that way and it doesn't make them liabilities. The real easy minutes were given to Gomez, Nokelainen et all while the toughest were given to Plekanec.

Of course Desharnais is not a Selke candidate, mostly because he's never going to demolish people with checks or trounce people from the front of his net. He's very sound positionally and works extremely hard 100% of the time so he's far from hopeless. Many smallish players are effective defensively and I can't see why he couldn't hold his own against good players.

Imho we don't absolutely need to move any of them for 2 or 3 years still and as we can see from our discussion its pretty hard to predict who the odd man out is going to be. Eller could become a great second line center with excellent offensive abilities or he could end up being a good two way third line center with somewhat limited offense. Desharnais can prove he can be a consistant producer and top line player or, as you seem to fear, he might end up being a one year wonder. Plekanec can rebound from his lackluster season (I think he will) and reclaim the first line center spot or fade and stay a two way second liner. The question with Galchenyuk is when is he going to be a legit first line center. It might not be as quick as people imagine, it can take him 4 or 5 years to put up really impressive point totals.

Making a choice now is dangerous and does not allow us to get max value for our assets anyways. Desharnais has fairly low trade value. Plekanec's value is low compared to what it could be. Trading a player like Eller would be mad unless significant overpayement is offered. Furthermore we need all 3 of them in the next two years to be competitive.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote