View Single Post
Old
07-25-2012, 02:38 PM
WhiskeySeven

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Pleks and Eller are playing much tougher minutes than DD, and with worse line mates.
I know.

I'm of the school that you give your most offensively capable line the most chances to produce. A goal is a goal and if the DD line can only get goals against tired lines or bottom6ers AND they can produce a lot of them - so it shall be. Our other two centres are good enough to play and game against any line.

Also it really depends on Therrien and therein lies all the speculation. If he can really, truly maximize the potential of the team (and we do have potential) then Pleks, Gio, Eller and especially Bourque can really step up contribute beyond the DD line.

And DD's shortcomings are over-stated because of his statue and because we were god-awful last year. Cole and Patches are not moneyball players who only work well in certain situations, they're powerforwards and they finish their plays, and the current NHL game relies heavily on board-play from the wingers and they are both known for that. When it's all said and done we just can't predict if we're gonna have 1 and a half scoring lines (Pac-DD-Cole + scrub-Pleks-Gio) or 2 and a half scoring lines (DD line, Bourque-Pleks-Gio, Leblanc-Eller-Moen) - it depends on the system, the coaching, how the breakouts are designed (and therefore how Markov and Subban and Diaz/Kaberle look), etc.

I really hope we sign Semin, he could look dynamite next to Pleks and inject some flair and skill into a lineup that is gritty and chracter enough but really lacking in finesse. I mean, we have DD and Patches and maybe Eller who can dangle worth a damn. Gio, Moen, Pleks, Cole and Bourque are not high-skill players by any means and LL, Gallagher, Galchy, etc are just unknown unknowns now.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote