View Single Post
Old
07-25-2012, 04:56 PM
neksys

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarowski View Post
Another noobie reporting in. I was playing roller hockey in the street as a kid and teen, but haven't done much other than the occasional skate in the last 6-7 years. Always wanted to play hockey though so I went and bought a full kit and went to an open skate (went way better than expected). I am not quite sure where to go from here, but my plan is to work out in the gym a bit more and pick up open skates as often as possible. I wish I could get play/stick time in, but I am not sure when and where. I am thinking of just going to an Open Hockey night, but seeing that I can't snowplow stop (that's planned for this weekend) and don't have any experience in any gear on ice I am not sure if I won't ruin it for everybody else. After a vacation in August I hope to get into some courses/clinics though to get up to speed and see from there to find a league.
Lessons are going to be important. Start with skating lessons - you can figure a fair bit out on your own, but there are plenty of tips and tricks that can save you a lot of time and a lot of bruises.

Sign up for a beginner's hockey class in your town too - you will want to have reasonable skating ability so you aren't breaking the drills, but as long as you can skate forward and backwards, stop and turn you'll be fine. Transitions might be tough for a while, but you're in full pads, so no better time to learn!

Anyways, congrats on getting going with this. You're about 7 or 8 months behind where I was so its nice to pass along a bit of insight for a change!

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote