View Single Post
Old
07-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Schenn was an unproven prospect, and Simmonds is now another year into his career. Values change, and when players step into the NHL and prove themselves, the way Schenn did, they change pretty quickly. Both of those players are worth more than they were prior to the trade.

Furthermore, both of those players are key players in Philadelphia now, where that wasn't the case in Los Angeles. Would you give up two key roster players for Bobby Ryan? I sure wouldn't.
I'm not saying it was fair value(LA hosed Philly in that deal, anyway), but calling it ridiculous is a huge overstatement. It's also not right to say "Schenn was an unproven prospect", because he still is pretty unproven. He played to a 30 point pace and was sent down to the minors at one point. He had a decent playoff, but almost all of his value is predicated on his potential. He has proven next to nothing at this point. Simmonds, yeah, he stepped it up, but he also damn near doubled his career high in goals. I don't think you'll see him score that much in the future, that was just a great year helped out by the Flyers great PP.

And I wouldn't call neither Schenn nor Simmonds "key". Maybe Simmonds, definitely not Schenn, but still probably neither.