View Single Post
Old
07-26-2012, 08:29 AM
smitty10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post
Listening to the Weber/Trotz call...Weber said they just utilized the CBA as it is now and it worked out great. To me, that says that after it didn't work out with him and Suter signing together he was going to sign an offer sheet for any team that gave him the biggest contract to see how committed ownership really was. Which is why he was visiting other teams. And with Weber saying he knew all along the Preds intended to match any offer sheet, Weber just signed the biggest/best one and said OK Preds here you go match it for me. He got the monster pay day, sees the commitment from the team now and going forward (and in Weber's own words "is exactly what we wanted") and he stays in Nashville in a place he loves.
Definitely how I took the situation as well. Not a chance the Preds would allow him to walk.

I really hope Nashville can grab a top 4 defenseman to help take some of the strain off of Weber and add another depth guy. They need to show Weber now that they're willing to spend to get support for him so that this team can be as good as possible. What I'd like to see happen would be to sign:

Shane Doan- $5.5mil per year for 3-4 years
Alexander Semin- $6mil per year for 3 years
Carlo Colaiacovo- $3.5mil per year for 3 years
Milan Jurcina/Scott Hannan- $900k for 1 year

Although that would push the Preds to within $1m of the cap, it would address every concern in the lineup and would create enough depth that injuries wouldn't have a devestating effect on the team. Doan would bring leadership, grit and 50+ points to the top 6, Semin would be the elite sniper this team could rely on for goals, Colaiacovo would add depth to the top 4 defense and would bring experience to help replace Suter, Jurcina or Hannan would bring veteran depth to the blueline and an NHL capable body so that the youngsters can develop in the AHL.