PIM: 4 (7th)
Hits: 15 (8th)
Blocked shots: 106 (4th)
Giveaways: 40 (2nd)
Takeaways: 30 (2nd)

Height: 6'2" (1.88m)
Weight: 197 lbs (89kg)

Contract status: RFA in 2014
Current contract: 2yr, $3.6M ($1.8M per)
Acquired: 2006 draft, 2nd round (63rd)

I guess it's kind of serendipitous that McBain's turn came up, since we have the parallel discussion about him already.

Here are my thoughts on this guy. Ok, so he's not a super-stud like Faulk or (we hope) Murphy. But he is a pretty damn good supporting player, and the team needs those too.

I realize he's our most tradeable asset, and when the conversation was about trading him for Nash or Staal, I was down for that. But now we're talking about moving him for guys that are, themselves, supporting pieces. That doesn't seem to me like a prudent use of our resources.

This is a guy who was essentially a third-round pick, our only homegrown defenseman with more than a year's experience, who will still be an RFA in two years while hitting the prime seasons of his career. That's the guy we want to ship out for a 2nd/3rd line option?

I have a feeling that if we trade McBain, we're going to watch him light us up for a long time on teams who can provide him with a reliable partner and sheltered minutes.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote