Thread: Proposal: Jamie McBain to Philly
View Single Post
Old
07-26-2012, 11:05 AM
totaltank

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
I question why people feel we need a forward right now more than a defenseman? IMO, our defense is pretty atrocious and inexperienced. This team has given up more shots the last 2 seasons than any other team in the league and a swap of Allen for Corvo won't help that. I'm by no means saying don't trade McBain for the right deal, but going into the season with:

Pitkanen-Corvo
Gleason-Faulk
Harrison-Sanguinetti/Murphy

Yikes...especially since Pitkanen is bound to miss at least 10 games and the same goes for Harrison. I also think penciling Murphy into the lineup is very risky and I wouldn't want to count on it. I remember a few years ago people prematurely penciling McBain into a top pairing spot after his 14game debut.

I'm not disputing that Read for McBain seems like fair value, but personally, I'd rather do something to shore up the defense before making a trade like that.
Both our forwards and defense need an upgrade at the top, no doubt. We're very deep with marginal guys at both positions. My point in thinking Read helps more than McBain, is that Read can help our top six forwards, whereas McBain is a bottom pairing defenseman. In my opinion, we need to start bumping guys like LaRose, Tlusty and even Jokinen and (to a lesser extent) Ruutu down the depth chart to have any kind of real chance.

A top six of Staal, Staal, Skinner, Semin, Read, Ruutu goes a long way in accomplishing that. Keep in mind that I'm not "down" on Tlusty, LaRose, Jokinen and Ruutu, I just think that when you have a top six full of guys like that, you kinda suck. Even Tlusty's "breakout" year last year was underwhelming. He's a third-liner.

totaltank is offline   Reply With Quote