View Single Post
Old
07-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgarbossy View Post
I see what you are saying, but disagree. What, if anything, was America about if not freedom from the monarchy of England? Technically, it was a Declaration of Independence to be sure. There is truth in your statement about defending the constitution and the subjective shadow cast over its meaning. In my eyes, this is due to the politicization of the Supreme Court, but that is an entirely different conversation. I would even go so far as to say the idea of America in the eyes of the founding fathers is far different from where we are today. Yet it remains that 'freedom' and 'rights' in the eyes of those forefathers did in fact include the right to bear arms. Again, the implied meaning of militias et al is somewhat subjective it seems.

At any rate, elimination of firearms in this country is a false choice indeed. Maybe it boils my blood to read all the gun control expert opinions riddled with inflammatory rubbish.
What do you mean, "what was America about"?

I mean, if you're going to make the argument that America was about freedom simply because they wanted freedom from england, well then every revolution is about freedom, and most certainly this is not true.

But what was America about?

Truth is, America is "about" what almost everything is about, opportunism and self-want. I generally don't belive in historical narration.

What happens is that people try to place vast philosophic or ideological undertones to historical events that were almost always far more nuanced, far more complex, and far less intellectually pure.

People try to state, "America was about freedom" in the modern day because that's what we want it to be about. America has always been a nation obsessed with it's own moral superiority and we keep bending the story of our nation to fit whatever the popular ideological undertow is.

Was there some sort of notion of freedom in the founding of America? Sure, I guess. but is that really why people joined the revolution? No, it was generally because they didn't want to pay the taxes, or because they wanted representation in Parliament, or because they didn't like the intrusions of the british army, not because they wanted to expand freedom per se.

The idea of America wasn't a singular concept upon founding, it was many things to many people. Ever since that founding we've made it about stuff. That's how historical narration happens. Usually things happen not because of the singularity of intrest, but the confluence of opportunity.

The american revolution and the founding of America happened because a lot of people found a similar way (revolution) in which they could capitalize on whatever their issue was with the British, not because of "freedom", that was only part of the story.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote