Thread: Classic with Video Domi vs Cairns
View Single Post
Old
07-26-2012, 12:49 PM
jkrx

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IComeInPeace View Post
Taking nothing away from Joliat, but he played in the 20's and 30's...
I find it really hard ro believe you can so definitively tell us he was much tougher than Domi, or anyone else for that matter.
If you were 10 yrs old when you saw him fight, that would make you at least 90+ years of age, and my guess is you are not posting on here at that age.
More likely you have heard 2nd and 3rd hand stories about Joliat (at best). That is not a lot to go on, is it?

I really disliked Tie at times throughout his career, but I have a tonne of respect for him. He was an absolute warrior. Based upon the other tougher, smaller fighters I've seen, ranging from Jonathan to Rypien, Tie was by far the best. He fought the best of the best for a long long time amd traded shots with them to boot. No wrestling or trying to get position all fight. Tie was by far the best little guy I ever saw, and rightfully should be mentioned amongst the best of all time. In my opinion he is a legit name to mention in the top 20 of all time.
Your argument is flawed. You are basically saying that we shouldn't trust second and third hand stories about Domi 80 years. Domi was tough but Joliat battled guys like Shore and Cleghorn.

Quote:
Despite six shoulder separations, three broken ribs, and routine injuries such as five nose fractures, Aurel went on to score 270 goals, tying Morenz on the all-time list. He was also an outstanding checker, capable of stopping an opponent and then quickly starting a rush of his own.

"Well, I guess I was tough enough," Aurel said in later years. "You had to be to survive. But I wasn't the toughest. That mule-headed son-of-a-***** Eddie Shore was the meanest, toughest player I ever met. I was rushin' up the ice at the Forum one night when my lights went out. Shore hit me with a check that almost killed me. I was what? 130 pounds at the time and he must have been 190. He dislocated my shoulder and they carried me off in a lot of pain. Then I look around and Shore is leading a fancy rush. Forget the sore shoulder. I leaped over the boards and intercepted the big bugger. Hit him with a flyin' tackle. Hit him so hard he was out cold on the ice. He had it comin' I'd say . . ."

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote