Thread: umberger OK
View Single Post
Old
04-23-2006, 03:35 PM
MojoJojo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitthockey81
Getting knocked silly is a concussion. Getting knocked out means you were concussed moron. Don't make me explain the physiological makeup of what constitutes a concussion.

However, I just realized I am posting on a hockey forum where noone has the slightest idea what they are talking about when it comes to medical stuff. So I am done arguing with you guys. I hope he's ok only because he's a Pittsburgh boy. I just think it's rather funny how the Flyers have had several key players over the years who have had to deal with multiple concussion problems.
After such a well informed post, I hardly have any enthusiasm for explaining the difference. A concussion is a "bruise" to the brain (not a hematoma, but the term is close enough that you get the idea), but does not cause a person to lose consciousness. A person loses consciousness when either the blood flow through the brain or when the nerve messages through the brain are disrupted. A shock or extreme accelleration can cause a part of the brain stem called the Reticular Activating System to temporarily shut down, causing you to black out. It is quite common that when this occurs there is no accompanying concussion.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote