View Single Post
Old
07-26-2012, 04:04 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
I fully agree. Flyers have no reason to overpay, Ducks have no reason to give up Ryan for something that doesn't make the team better.

But to call Voracek + Meszaros + 1st spectacular overpayment for Ryan is just downright silly.
COMPARING CONTRACTS: Voracek by 0.85m and a year
4.25m over 4 years > 5.10m over 3 years

COMPARING AGE: Voracek by 3 years
22 > 25

COMPARING POTENTIAL: Ryan by 10~ points
60-65~ points < 70-75~ points

COMPARING CONSISTENCY: Ryan by 10~ points
50~ point forward < 60~ point forward

GOAL-SCORING APTITUDE: Ryan by 10-15~ goals
20~ goal forward < 30-35~ goal forward

PASSING APTITUDE: Tie
30-35 assists = 30-35 assists

HEALTH CONSISTENCY: Tie
PHYSICALITY: Ryan
DEFENSIVE PLAY: Voracek

Ryan is the better player. Voracek is the better value in his contract and age right now.

So how much is that 10-15-ish points that Ryan is better than Voracek actually worth on the open market, particularly considering their contracts?

I think the value for Ryan and Voracek is pretty close. The only reason I'd do Voracek + 1st for Ryan is to get a noted scorer on Giroux's wing. Even that, by its very nature, is not really a necessary thing. Voracek will prove to be a valuable winger for Giroux for other reasons entirely.

That said, we've established that it's very possible, even arguable, that Voracek + 1st is almost an overpayment for the limited added benefits that Ryan brings depending on where that first falls.

So how is giving up a 26-year-old (only a year older than Ryan) former Flyers "Defenseman of the Year" to Anaheim for free not considered a gross overpayment?

Hell, considering the current market, his contract is a freaking bargain.

Absolutely incredible...a free, young top-four defenseman is not considered overpayment anymore.

CS is online now   Reply With Quote