View Single Post
Old
07-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Not all of this is for you, just elucidating my thinking.

Not sure about mocked, but I had the Sharks in low 100s for standings points. I predicted that they would at best be even with the previous year for offense and defense. I actually turned out more optimistic than the results warranted. I did predict that their PK would still be out to lunch as Handzus was NOT a fix. It was a strategy issue and not the players. When they started with Zeus/JT as their top PK pair, I knew they were in trouble. I did see the loss of Seto as that critical tweener being an issue.

My prediction for this year is bubble team and don't see any trade/acquisition as a cure for that. It is extemely difficult to move up and down the standings with off-season movement. Moving up is done through strategy or acquiring playmakers where the team lacked them previously. I give the Sharks a decent but less than 50/50 chance to surprise if they actually enact strategy changes with the coaching. It is the type of move that can be a good change. We should see changes early if the Sharks take advantage of new strategy.

For those thinking overwhelming defense to ride to the cup, think again. The teams that do it that way are Jennings/Vezina caliber. That won't happen with Niemi in goal and I don't see any available goalie that would (there are some goalies who are not available). Top 5 doesn't cut it, top 3 or bust. If the Sharks are going to make a run it has to be done with offense.
So do you think we need more playmakers? I thought that we already had quite a few of those? Also, not sure if by strategy you mean management strategy for team development or something more specific to coaching?

I agree that there is not going to be a quick fix for us but acquiring good young players is a step in the right direction. Right?