Thread: Coaching a team
View Single Post
07-27-2012, 06:14 AM
vCash: 500

Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
My goal is to make it fun, and improve their skating and puck skills. And to have every one of them enroll in hockey the following year. If I succeed then hopefully wins will come, but most importantly, a smile on their faces when they walk in the door.

How should I discipline players ?

Also I don't want my players going wide and stuff like that, I want them to play beautiful hockey.
Discipline. Usually the association has a Discipline Code with guidelines. Also the serious issues are handled either by Hockey Quebec, the region, the tournament, or appropriate bodies. Discipline issues that fit under the team umbrella are few and far between. Fairness and openess are the keys.

Going wide is getting a bad rap hear. Kids in single letter hockey, including Pee Wee tend to cluster, making it possible for 1 to cover 2 or 3. This habit has to be broken.

Also the wingers staying wide on a rush open the middle of the ice creating passing lanes and scoring opportunities. Work with the players explaining the objectives and the recognition involved in making the right choices. When to go wide and when to cut to the middle.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote