Thread: Coaching a team
View Single Post
Old
07-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Marotte Marauder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Discipline. Usually the association has a Discipline Code with guidelines. Also the serious issues are handled either by Hockey Quebec, the region, the tournament, or appropriate bodies. Discipline issues that fit under the team umbrella are few and far between. Fairness and openess are the keys.

Going wide is getting a bad rap hear. Kids in single letter hockey, including Pee Wee tend to cluster, making it possible for 1 to cover 2 or 3. This habit has to be broken.

Also the wingers staying wide on a rush open the middle of the ice creating passing lanes and scoring opportunities. Work with the players explaining the objectives and the recognition involved in making the right choices. When to go wide and when to cut to the middle.
I don't disagree at all. My beef is with the boneheads who know ONLY wide. One of my favorite plays on a rush is middle carry, pass to a wing, as soon as the Dman looks to the winger, a return pass right to wide open slot. Requires 2 passes, sometimes. If my puck carrier senses the Dman as much as being interested in the winger (yet without puck) he blows up the middle for a clear opportunity.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote