View Single Post
Old
07-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Stickchecked

vCash: 500
[Just reread your post saying you can't do league, but I'm leaving what I wrote for others]

I played in Boston 10 years ago. Even back then I found it easy to find loads of pickups and ice time, you just need to do the legwork and get on the the right email lists.

One competitive league I joined was NESHL. The really nice thing about the league (at least back then) is that new players go through a "draft", where you show up to do drills/play pickup and the team captains sit in the stand and select you for their team. This ensures that you end up on the right team for your skill level. It also helps with leveling the playing field for teams.

The only downside is that the league required you to buy (very nice) home and away jerseys. I still have them but it's an initial investment to consider.

One more thing: I was in Boston during the tech bust and went unemployed for a stretch. I discovered that the city-owned ice rinks had daily free skating in the morning, mine was 10:30am - 11:30am. The nice thing is I got to know the maintenance guy and he would let me take a stick/puck after 11:30 if no one had the ice. I did my best to go daily.

I found it amusing that a mailman was a regular skater there.

If your work schedule allows for it, you should check out the city rink schedule.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote