Thread: Speculation: Kari's next contract
View Single Post
Old
07-27-2012, 11:35 AM
BigG44

vCash: 500
Rather than starting a new thread, this seams appropriate for this thread.

I know fans are split on the importance of a star goaltender for success in the playoffs and regular season. I think you can come up with just as many examples of system goalies playing well behind a talented and consistent system as you can find hot goalies who carry a team.

Personally, I still prefer the talented goalie that steals games and elevates the team over a sound system where goalies are just interchangeable. I think ideally, a great goalie in a good system can be lethal. That said, I wouldn't be disappointed even a little to go into a season with two good goalies rather than 1 great goalie. I do really feel teams can win both ways.

I bring this up because of a recent interview with Ray Whitney on a Canadian radio show. He's clearly in favor of a great goalie, and Lehtonen was one of the big reasons he felt comfortable coming to Dallas.

Quote:
"I think what people have to understand is that every team has pieces and every team has an opportunity starting from zero to get in and have success. They [Dallas] have a good goaltender, which is something you need in this league now. Probably more than anything."

Ray Whitney has been around a long, long time, and knows that success is built from the net out in this league.

"You need a goaltender - it's funny, you say Jamie Benn and Eriksson and we all love that, but the Phoenix Coyotes last year didn't get to where they were going without Mike Smith. The Nashville Predators - Pekka Rinne was a huge part of that. As Lundqvist (with the Rangers). So all the teams that get anywhere and have any success, it usually starts with the goaltender out and I think Kari lehtonen is one of the best in the league right now, and there are some talented people up front."

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote