View Single Post
Old
07-27-2012, 11:56 AM
bigblue21

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Boyle has a role on this team, I just don't think he should be playing 16 mins a night up the middle when he doesnt create plays, is marginal on d-zone faceoffs and turns the puck over.

From a 3rd line center standpoint, I dont care about stats as much as I care about creating plays for your wingers, winning key defensive zone faceoffs more times than not, and not turning the puck over.

Boyle is great at using his body, blocking shots and getting a quick shot off. The problem is that offensively, he's rarely doing much of anything on the ice.

A 3rd line center should be able to do a bit of both on a consistent basis. Boyle didnt for almost a full season.
Yes, Boyle is never going to be a creative player. He is, however, quite good at cycling the puck and keeping it down low. There were many, many games last year where our 3rd line did a very good job of having extended shifts where they cycled the puck and wore the other team down.

Oh, and for what it's worth, Boyle had 7 more goals and 1 more point than Dominic Moore, a guy some people (not saying you) were advocating going after.