Thread: Other: GM Report Card
View Single Post
Old
07-28-2012, 12:01 PM
birddog*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Hey, i'm not here to change your mind. But it took Sather 12 years to build that respectable team. Philly, while being a playoff team, has achieved what? Ottawa played WELL above expectations last season, (according to EVERY hockey mind before the season) i respect their position last year but they have Spezza an aging Alfie and Karlson who i hope can repeat for their sake and what else? If you want to tell me the team Burke took over was better than this one you are mistaken. His 1st 2 years were spent shedding overpaid underachieving lifer contracted players. Sure, we don't have a #1C, guess he should have taken some of the extremely valuable players he inherited to get 1...LOL. OR, he should sign one of the plethora of #1C's who come up as UFA's every offseason. Lets remember were we came from at the start of the Burke era, it's been a long time since playoffs yes, but those ARE NOT all Burke years. I won't count his 1st 2 years as he had to shed absolute crap before he could start to build. I've said it before, Burkes true value will only be seen after he is gone.
Going into Burke's 5th year soon and the team still doesn't match up with Boston, Pittsburg, Washington, Philly, L.A., and others young core. Burke's core consists of Kessel, Phaneuf, Gardiner and some prospects that will be good. Reilly looks to be a potential star but I'd take Carolina with Staal, Staal, Skinner, Ward and others ahead of Burke's group. Just like I'd take a dozen other franchises as a better starting ground for the future. So if we suck now and the talent level is middle of the pack moving forward how does that not equate to an F? Burke is paid to buil this team into a perennial contender -- there are no signs that it will be that with case moving forward. I'm not sure 20 other GM's couldn't have easily accomplished what he has in his time here.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote