View Single Post
Old
07-29-2012, 11:09 AM
AmericanDream
Gold or Bust!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars and Bolts View Post
Going into the gold metal game in the 2002 olympics between USA and Canada, one obvious edge that Canada had was that they had a great balance of youth and veterans while USA was essentially a veteran team. With this year being the 10th anniversary of those olympics, this advantage is now perfectly clear. Of the 23 man rosters, 7 players from Canada are still active (Jarome Iginla, Simon Gagne, Ryan Smyth, Chris Pronger, Ed Jovanovski, Eric Brewer, and Martin Brodeur). while only 2 from USA are (Brian Roloston and Tom Poti). In fact, 3 players from Canada still play for the same NHL team that they played for then.

Team USA players still active:

Brian Rolston (then with Boston, now in his 2nd stint with Boston)
Tom Poti (then with Edmonton, now with Washington)

Team Canada players still active:
Jarome Iginla (played whole career with Calgary)
Simon Gagne (then with Philadelphia, now with Los Angeles)
Ryan Smyth (then with Edmonton, now back with Edmonton)
Chris Pronger (then with St. Louis, now with Philadelphia)
Ed Jovanovski (then with Vancouver, now with Florida)
Eric Brewer (then with Edmonton, now with Tampa Bay)
Martin Brodeur (played entire career with New Jersey)

So yeah, 7 players from Team Canada are still active 10 years later. Brodeur, Iginla, and Smyth are even with the same teams they were with at the time (though Smyth was traded away before returning). Meanwhile, only 2 players from Team USA are still active today.
2002 was a bit more of a transition year for Canada then the US. The same "old guard" was the majority of the US team, while team Canada had plenty of young new blood to bring in to play with some of their legends...

USA Hockey was just starting to see the results from the USNDP which was implemented basically 4 years prior to actually start producing solid players. USA Hockey also had so many prospects bust in the prior years that our development from 1992-2000 was horrid and almost crippled our hockey program overall.

When top picks from 92-2000 like Jason Bonsignore, TY Jones, Ryan Sittler, Brad Defauw, Jeff Kealty, Matt Alvery, Rory Fitzpatrick, Peter Ferraro, David Wilkie, Joe Hulbig, Chris O'Sullivan, Peter Roed, Peter Ratchuk, Josh DeWolf, Nikos Tselios, J-M Pelletier, Brian Gaffaney, Bobby Allen, Philip Sauve, Chris Bala, Barrett Heisten, Michael Ryan, Ed Hill, Dan Cavanaugh, Matt Murley, Matt DeMarchi, Kris Vernarsky, all bust, and I mean this was about 80% of our top 2 round picks from that era that busted, we were screwed ...these are pretty much off the top of my head as there are more.

plus a ton of guys like Michael Rupp, Dan Lacouture, Scott Parker, Erik Rasmussen, Jeff Jillson, Doug Janik, Adam Hall, Andrew Hutchinson, Jeff Taffe, Brad Winchester, Andy Hilbert, etc that could be considered busts as well or labeled as players that didnt deliver compared to their draft rankings...and now you can see that probably 90% of all American players drafted in the first 2 rounds of the draft from 92-2000 either busted or underperformed and it is amazing that USA Hockey still got a silver in 02 and a silver in 2010....a miracle perhaps??

Just abysmal numbers when looking at a single nation and the amount of highend draft busts that it did have, simply pathetic and something that I really didnt know how bad it was until I started looking at it closer a few years back..

also, the injury of Bryan Berard just added to the luck that we had to that era as Berard played on the 98 Olympic team and would have been as dynamic of a dman in the league if he stayed healthy. very sad to lose one of the few that was a talent and a NHL player

AmericanDream is online now   Reply With Quote