Thread: Speculation: Dion Phaneuf's next contract?
View Single Post
Old
07-29-2012, 04:07 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I would argue Gardiner was, or atleast he was in the conversation as the 2nd best D man on the Leafs last year. He played a regular shift, most in the 2nd pairing and he logged 1st PP time.

Gunnar was mostly paired with Dion, and he is a steady D man. I lobbyed for him last year when everyone wanted to throw him into deals as if he were just a condiment you toss into a sandwich, I am well aware of his worth. He would be best served as a 3rd pairing guy, who gives you safe minutes.

Liles is not as good as most people think, he's ok, like Grabo he will be expendable when some of our good young prospects start to reveal themselves. But watching him this season, I can see why Liles was let go by Colorado. Infact I think a second rd pick was too steep to give up for a player like him. Small undersized defender that may or may not fit into Carlyle's system.

The reality of it all is Dion is miles ahead of anything we have on the NHL roster, or until Rielly, Finn, Percy arrive. Or Gardiner continues to progress and not plateau.
We are all entitled to our opinions, the main reason for this board, but my differs than yours on this matter. Surprise ... I usually don't care the nationality of a player just what they do on the ice.

IMO Phaneuf is a good defenseman, but the Wild Thing was much smarter.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote