View Single Post
Old
07-29-2012, 08:01 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Tomas Kaberle fetched the Leafs Joe Colborne (a 6'5" former 1st rounder progressing nicely), a 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder. I've always thought that was a ridiculous trade. At the time I suspected the Bruins did it in order to make Toronto worse, to improve the value of Toronto's draft pick. I'd be shocked if we got half of that.

I did not call for Markov/Plekanec/Gionta to be traded because I think the Habs can be competitive again as soon as the 2013-2014 season, at which point these guys will still be useful. However, I'd still trade them but only for a good return. Hypothetically:

- Gionta for any late 1st rounder, particularly if Gallagher or Leblanc are tearing it up in Hamilton and ready for a promotion.
- Markov to Washington for Kuznetsov, a 1st, and a 2nd, or Kuznetsov and Forsberg.
- Plekanec to Chicago for Hjalmarsson, Teräväinen, and a 2nd, paricularly if Eller and Desharnais both improve.

So yeah, my threshold for trading these guys is very high. I think it's extremely unlikely we'd get that kind of return, so I'm not in favor of trading them. Markov and Plekanec both might have 5+ years left of good productivity, I'd keep them.

I doubt Geoffrion and Weber have any value on the trade market.
I'm puzzled. You call for surgical tanking but you're willing to hold on to the better veterans. As you say, Bourque and Geoffrion wouldn't fetch much in return. However, there's an advantage in clearing cap space in case an opportunity comes along. Of course, the real white elephant is Gomez.