Thread: Confirmed with Link: Justin Schultz joins the Oilers Part II
View Single Post
Old
07-30-2012, 09:02 AM
CupofOil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsands View Post
Let's not go overboard - defensemen have the steepest learning curve and are hard to project. It's almost a given that Schultz can be a roster D-man on a weak NHL roster this year. Some say he could be a top-4 player, *already*, but given the strange and unpredictable developmental curves that defensemen follow - I think all bets are off.

He could be MA Bergeron or he could be a Tobias Enstrom. A nice piece to have in the bottom half of your d-pairings, but lordy if you are depending on anything more - we have got a problem here.
I understand the idea of being realistic about expectations but there is a reason that Schultz has been so hyped, he's a blue chipper, plain and simple.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that i've seen him play many times on replay and he is no MAB, i'll tell you that much.
He most definitely has top pairing potential and could easily be a #1 if all goes well, his all around game is superb although there are obviously things that he needs to work on like getting stronger but he has all the goods to succeed at the NHL level even if he encounters some bumps in the road in his development along the way.
If McDonaugh and Gardiner can succeed fairly quickly at the NHL level, i don't see any reason why Schultz can't. His game is very polished and he plays all situations PP, PK and 5 on 5 at a high level so he should make some sort of impact even this season.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote