Thread: Speculation: Instead of Bobby Ryan...
View Single Post
Old
07-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
No excuses. We should have had enough depth to cover this. Kovalchuk was playing hurt for NJ.
Your depth doesn't make much difference when it's all injured too. Over half the team had notable injuries, and a bunch of them required surgery. We would have needed an NFL-sized roster to have the depth to cover that. Saying "Oh, but Kovalchuk!" doesn't help your case. One key player compared to Giroux, Jagr, Grossmannnnnn, Timonen, Bryz and JVR (to just name a few) doesn't come out as being equal.

This reminds me of all the people who wrote Carter off as a choker because he couldn't put up a large number of points with fairly serious injuries. I remember saying that we should probably wait until he has a healthy postseason to judge him. He just had the healthiest postseason we've seen in something like 4-5 years, and what happened? He was crucial to LA's success. So, let's take that lesson and apply it to this roster. Don't judge them until they're failing while healthy. The Pitt series really banged up our already gimpy roster. The "injuries aren't an excuse!" mantra is complete BS. Injuries are absolutely an excuse. Do you blame Callahan for not playing against Washington last year because of his broken leg? Did that make him a choker? I mean, he did literally disappear in those playoffs. Pronger must be the biggest choker on our team (by your logic), guy didn't do a thing in this year's playoffs! Do you see why the "injuries no excuse" thing doesn't work yet?

It's absurd that you write the roster off as one that disappears in the playoffs after just one playoff performance where very few key players were healthy in any part of the lineup.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 07-30-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote