View Single Post
07-30-2012, 10:47 AM
Registered User
SOLR's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,794
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Why wait for the deadline to make that deal? I'd make that deal today.
Because one could argue that we have done the right amount of selling as of this month. I understand your philosophy and I'm mostly with it. However, I believe that some of these vets you are ready to trade(as I am) could on the flip side become pivotal.

I think we need to get rid of the players we don't see in our medium term first(Gomez, Bourque, Kaberle: main asset back = cap space) before deciding of the fate of those that could fit there(Gionta -Plekanec - Markov - Cole).

I'm for trading Gionta right now, 50-50% on Pleks, Markov I will need until deadline to know, since he might be able to play until he's 40, at a near elite level and a fair cap hit. Cole can stay as long as he can score 20 and play physically.

I want to trade Gionta because he still has value and:

1) Is too small to fit long term at his career stage. Make no mistake, Bergevin and Duddley will make this team bigger and meaner. Gallagher is the same type of player, but he will be much younger and fresh; that's long as he can produce 40 pts +

2) is not the captain we need(he's not part of Price's sub-group), can we make Gorges captain yet?

3) Seems to have little chemistry with our current centers, it's not working well and we can't wait for Galchenyuk to see if there's magic there...unless...Galchenyuk surprises. I don't want to play Gionta bottom 6 and see his value plummet.

SOLR is offline